Sunday, January 6, 2008

Waiting in Lines #2

The next place I always seem to wait in a long line is at the bank. Don't get me wrong, I love People's Bank, but I hate waiting. A couple years ago they shut down the freestanding branch in the parking lot of Stop and Shop in Groton. All of those customers had to merge with the customers from the branch inside the Stop and Shop. Since they were going to be busier, they remodeled that branch. Do you think they added more teller stations? Of course not. They still have 3. Ridiculous! Especially on a Friday. And the thing that really gets me.... When I worked there there was a rule that the customers waiting in line came first. We were supposed to stop whatever we were doing to wait on those customers. Everything else could wait. Until closing if needed. I guess they have done away with that rule because countless times I have had to watch a teller do something other than customer service while I just stood there and watched. Some times I'm not even acknowledged. Other times the "greeter" (which is a teller or a manager taken off the line just to stand in the lobby) will say hello and apologize for the wait, which wouldn't be necessary if they would just stop "greeting" and process some transactions! Again, I love People's Bank, the hours, the tellers themselves, and the banking products, but it's time to put the customer who is there in person first again. The online shopping, talking on the phone, balancing the ATM or their drawer can wait!

No comments: